By Jen Formo
My husband and two children have Celiac disease, and I wanted to share a bread recipe that we use since I know how difficult it is to find a decent loaf of gluten free bread (at least it was for us).
I got this recipe from Living Without Magazine and it works wonderfully for us. Both my kids and husband enjoy eating fresh bread again!
Champion Sandwich Bread
- 2 cups white or brown rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1 Tbsp Xantham Gum
- 1 Tbsp Gluten Free Egg replacer
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ cup powdered milk
- 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 cups warm water (110-115 F)
- Grease and flour two small bread pans
- Mix all dry ingredients (including yeast) together in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Place eggs, butter, vinegar and honey in a mixing bowl (stand mixer), with the paddle attachment mix ingredients for about 30 sec until blended.
- Add ½ of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mix until well blended, add the remaining dry ingredients.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add warm water until well absorbed, blend for 4 min. on high.
- Spoon dough into pans and let rise for 50-60 min (I put mine on top of the oven while it’s heating and cover with saran wrap and a towel).
- Bake at 375 for 35-50 min (mine seems to cook in about 40 min?). Cool in pan for 10 min. then transfer to rack.
See variations of this recipe at http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/Dairy-Free-Bread-Recipe-1528-1.html