How to Start a Conversation on Celiac-Friendly Dining
courtesy the Celiac Scene
• What items do you normally recommend to diners who request a GF meal?
• How are kitchen staff alerted to a GF order?
• What ingredients will be used to make my order?
• How do you know if these ingredients are really gluten free?
• Says so on labels? Checked product website? Called the manufacturer? Checked with the CCA?
• Could GF ingredients / toppings become contaminated while they are waiting to be used?
• Will you use pure spices, prepared seasonings or soy sauce made from wheat to make my meal?
• Are deep fried items cooked in oil that has been used to deep fry breaded, battered gluten food items?
• How do you thicken sauces & dressings?
• Do you wash your hands / change gloves / change aprons before or in between preparing regular food?
• How do you ensure that all utensils used in preparing my food are free from traces of gluten?
• What other precautions do you take to minimize / prevent cross contamination?
• Separate or scrubbed frying pan? Griddle? Pot? Colander? Fresh aluminum foil?
• Will my food be prepared in an area separate from the regular flow of the kitchen?
Pizzas Places & Mixed Bakeries
• When are GF items prepared?
• During regular operations? Before regular production? During downtimes / days?
• Could the finished product become contaminated with gluten while waiting to be served?
• How do servers confirm with the kitchen that the order they are collecting from them is GF?
• How do servers confirm with the customer that the order they are providing is GF?
• What prompted your interest in serving the gluten free?
• Do you receive input from the local Chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association?
• A dietitian? Someone familiar with celiac disease and the gluten-free diet?
• Do you or a staff member have celiac disease? On a GF diet?