Canada’s Guide to Healthy Eating translates the science of eating well into a practical pattern of food choices that meets nutrient needs, promotes health and minimizes the risk of chronic diseases. This savoury pie recipe makes getting the recommended meats, dairy products, vegetables and grains easy by cleverly including all food groups in a rice crust.
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 500 mL / 2 cups each sliced red peppers, zucchini and Portobello mushrooms
- 30 mL / 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 mL / 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 L / 4 cups cooked and cooled U.S. long grain rice
- 375 mL / 1-1/2 cups grated old cheddar, divided
- 125 mL / 1/2 cup grated onion
- 500 mL / 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 50 mL / 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
In a medium sized bowl toss onion, red peppers, zucchini and mushrooms with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread on large rimmed baking sheet and roast in the centre of a 400 F (200 C) oven until tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
In bowl, stir together rice, 1 cup (250 mL) cheese and grated onion until well combined.
In a greased 8-inch (20 cm) spring-form pan, with damp fingers, press rice mixture into the bottom and up the sides. Arrange chicken in bottom of pan. Over chicken, layer onions, then peppers, then zucchini, then mushrooms. Sprinkle with basil and remaining cheese.
Bake in a 375 F (190 C) oven until cheese is bubbling and golden, about 30 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.