by Irene Thompson, Kelowna Chapter President
What a great fall we are having! I was away in Manitoba for a week and when I returned the landscape had changed. I just love all the vibrant colors of fall. Mind you I may not enjoy raking all those leaves when they come down.
While waiting for a flight to come home I wanted to find something to eat usually bacon and eggs as they are usually safe. At the Calgary Airport I went into a restaurant called Chili’s Texas Grill and yes they did have bacon and eggs great I would be able to eat. I was getting hungry as it was 11:30 am and I had not eaten anything before I left. I told the server what I wanted and he informed me that that item was only served till 11:00 am. I explained that I could not eat any of the other item on the menus because I had a gluten allergy to my surprise he informed me that they had a gluten free menu. I had the most wonderful meal of a great chicken salad and would you believe French fries. I guess the lesson was that we all need to ask if a gluten free menu is available.
Elections will be the focus of our meeting November 4th. Moyra Baxter is looking after this for us and will be in charge of the process. We will need members to step forward and take on the positions that are open. These are:
- VICE PRESIDENT and
All other positions are also open to anyone that wishes to put their name forward. I ask that you please consider filling any of the above positions so that we will have a strong chapter.
The Christmas dinner is also coming up we will have signup sheets for this at the meeting.
Notice of Annual General Meeting and Elections
According to the Current Bylaws, the Annual General Meeting of the Kelowna Chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association will take place at the November Meeting.
Elections will take place for the Executive Board. This year all positions are up for election/re-election. Elections will therefore take place for the following positions (each for a two year term):
- President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Irene Thompson and Ann Paterson have agreed to stand again for the positions of President and Treasurer.
- The current Vice-president and Secretary have indicated that they will not run again for their positions.
- All other support positions are not elected, but are on a volunteer basis with no term attached to their position.
- These include: Newsletter Editor, Hospitality, Membership, Help-Line, Product Information, Webmaster, Resources and Supplies, Awareness and Publicity.
- The following support positions will need to be filled by the Executive:
- Membership Coordinator; Resources and Supplies Coordinator; Awareness; and Publicity.
If any member wishes to receive more information regarding any of the vacant Executive positions, please contact Moyra Baxter, email@example.com or 250.767.6153, as she will conduct the Elections at the November Annual General Meeting.