Thursday night, May 28, 2015 we have our Kelowna Celiac and Gluten Intolerant Wellness Group with Mary Hicks, our Dietitian.
Topic : Bring your favorite summer food recipe
When: 7-8 pm
Where: Interior Health, Capri Centre Mall, Kelowna, 118 – 1835 Gordon Drive, Room 3,
Free to CCA members, $2 donation for non-members. It’s 7 pm to 8 pm at the Capri Health Centre (118 – 1835 Gordon Drive) meeting room three with parking available at the back by Capri insurance.
Contact Mary Hicks 250-717-3639 for more information.
By Mary Hicks
We had a good Wellness meeting Thursday April 23 at the Capri Health Centre. We discussed ideas for Summer BBQing. Our Wellness meetings are generally well attended and people attending value the information sharing and comradely, in fact, so much so that we have scheduled a May meeting on the 28th. Please mark your calendars. Everyone is asked to bring their favorite summer recipe. If you don’t have a recipe, come anyway and you will get one to try!
Suggestions for safe BBQing that were discussed included:
- Watch for cross contamination – in food prep, on the grill, on the cutting board, in the condiments
- Educate the cooks
- A brilliant idea that Julia had was to use a piece of foil to BBQ your own patty or steak on.
- Use a squirt bottles for condiments
- Have a spoon in the relish
- Assign a younger member of the group to “police” the condiment table
- Offer to host – this allows for more control (are we control freaks?? – yes!)
- Take your own meat or entrée
- Take a hearty salad such as pasta or quinoa so you have something safe to fill up on if necessary
We talked about a multitude of other subjects including safe and delicious restaurants, ideas for reducing costs of GF living, and recipe ideas. If these sound of interest to you please join us at one of our meetings. Questions about our meetings – just call me 250-717-3639
Happy BBQing season!